That's what I would tell you if you asked me how we have been lately... we have been SO busy!! I have been working two part-time babysitting jobs, one during the day and one in the evening (and the daytime job has somehow turned into full-time lately), and it has made my life a thousand times crazier. Three weeks ago, I worked 53 hours and went two full days without seeing my girls (oh my, that was so hard!!), and last week, I worked 47 hours. It has made cooking and cleaning and laundry pretty much impossible, so Jacob has taken over a lot of the cleaning for me. Luckily, he had a 3-week break from school and has been able to help me out a ton. But he went back to school on Monday of this week, so I don't know how we are going to survive now! Stay tuned, because I'm sure it will be interesting. :)
Last week, our friend Angela came to visit for a few days! She is one of my old roommates from BYU (and also Jacob's ex-girlfriend... but that's a story for another day!). We had a lot of fun, even though she was only here for 3 days. We tried out the lake/beach area at Stephen's Lake Park here in Columbia. Somehow, we even got Naomi to get into the lake and play in the water a little bit! I think I've mentioned that she has an awful fear of water when it's in a lake, or a pool, or a splash park, or pretty much anywhere other than a bathtub or sink. So we were shocked that we were successful in coaxing her into the water! She had a moment when she fell face-first into the water and I was afraid it was going to ruin our progress, but it ended up being ok.
 |
| Aleta, in her cute HUGE hat. (I couldn't find the baby hat!) |
 |
| Naomi, nervously eyeing the water. |
 |
| I don't know what Naomi is doing here, but it made me laugh. :) |
|
|
|
|
|
 |
| At least Naomi smiled for this one, even if she didn't look at the camera! |
 |
| Angela's first experience with Steak 'n Shake! |
 |
| Smiling at Daddy |
 |
| Me & Ang, about to leave for the airport. |
Jacob & I went to his 10-year high school reunion a couple weekends ago, which was a major letdown for him. First, they held it in a bar, which is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. That's just trashy. I get that they're all from some small hick town in Missouri, but come on! Couldn't they have even tried to make it a little more classy? The bar smelled SO badly like cigarette smoke that I felt like I needed a shower as soon as I got home to wash the stink off of me. And it was so loud that Jacob and I had to literally scream at each other to be heard, even though we were sitting right beside each other. That's not exactly the atmosphere I would think people would want at a reunion, when they are trying to catch up with friends they haven't seen in years. And there wasn't even close to enough room for everyone who came--they didn't rent out the bar, so it wasn't just reunion people there. They had maybe 12 tables reserved, which filled up quickly. By the time Jacob & I left, our table was surrounded by people who were standing because there wasn't anywhere left to sit. And once it got crowded, we never saw our waitress again, so it took us close to 45 minutes to track her down so we could pay for our 2 sodas and leave. It was awful. I'd never been to a bar before, and from what I saw, I don't think I have been missing anything! We wanted to make the most of our night out (since it's the first date night we've had in a long time) so we stopped at IHOP on the way home to have a delicious dinner. I had chocolate chip pancakes (made with chocolate batter), and Jacob had stuffed French toast. Yum!!
 |
| I think Jacob jabbed me in the side or tickled me or something. |
 |
| About to leave for the reunion. |
Last Friday, we attended a Convocation Ceremony for Jacob at Mizzou, where the people entering his major (nuclear medicine) and a few other majors in the health professions got a pin & recited some oath. It wasn't the most exciting thing in the world, but Jacob has had to work EXTREMELY hard to get to this point, and I'm really glad we went to the ceremony. It was an excuse for me to wear a dress & get all dolled up, and I was proud to see Jacob walk across the stage, even if it was just for a silly pin. I'm so proud of Jacob and the way that he has handled certain experiences that he has unfortunately had to go through in the past year. Let's be honest--the world can suck a lot of the time, and things are unfair, but Jacob handles all of the crappiness like a pro. My husband is awesome! (pictures from the ceremony to come in a future post)
Naomi has been busy being a typical 2-year-old... she enjoys throwing thirty tantrums a day, refusing to eat anything but snacks, and waking up Aleta when I have FINALLY gotten her down for her nap. She is beautiful and funny, and she has been talking more and more. She loves to give hugs... she will randomly jump up from where she is sitting, yell "HUG!!", and throw her arms around me. Or Jacob. Or Aleta. Or even Hippo. She jumped up from her chair in the living room one day, yelled "Hug!", and ran right past both Jacob and me before picking Hippo up from where he was laying on the floor and giving him a big hug. She can match up colors, and she counts to 8... after 8, she just starts repeating "one" or "two" over & over. She is definitely a cutie!
 |
| For some reason, Naomi squints & kinda scrunches up her face when she says, "Cheese!". |
 |
| Trying to steal the camera from me... those are chip crumbs all over her face, in case you were wondering! |
Aleta has been crawling around for a few weeks now. She army crawls mostly, or scoots backwards, but she can pretty much get around to anywhere she wants to go. She is still a really happy baby, and she is usually content to play on the floor and entertain herself. Naomi was never that way, so I am loving it! She still eats like a pro--she downs everything I give her. She hasn't been sleeping so great for me lately, but I guess she has to have one flaw... haha.
 |
| Before she could really crawl forward much, she was playing on the floor one day and crawled/scooted backward across the living room until she had backed herself into this spot! She got stuck between the couch and the wall and couldn't get out! |
 |
| 8-month photos |
 |
| Happy girl!! |
As for me, I've been working pretty much nonstop, like I said earlier. I am not used to being a mother and a wife and working full-time hours, and I am having a rough time finding a balance! The baby I watch during the day has been very
needy lately... and she has the worst separation anxiety I've ever seen. She screams bloody murder if I leave the room or even walk too far from her (basically, if I get farther than a few feet away, she screams) and doesn't stop until I come back and pick her up to soothe her. When she screams, it upsets Aleta (who is usually so happy!), so then I have two screaming babies. It makes it impossible to get anything done while I am watching her, which as I said, has been every day lately. And then I'm gone in the evenings for my other job, so the housework has definitely suffered. Hopefully I can find a balance soon so my life & our home can be less of a mess!
Jacob & I had a Brazilian-themed date night at home last weekend,
which was fun! I got the idea from
this website, which has AMAZING date
ideas & ideas of other ways to keep the romance alive in your
marriage. Anyway, they have a bunch of date night ideas where all of the
activities are themed around a country, so you can have a night in Italy, or Mexico, etc. But they didn't have a
night for Brazil. So I planned my own! I was planning on decorating
the kitchen with a big Brazil flag & streamers & other things in
the colors from the flag. Then I had planned on making a yummy
Brazilian dinner, which we would eat while listening to Brazilian music,
and then we were going to make Brigadeiros together for dessert.
Finally, we would watch Rio, which neither of us had seen yet. But that's not exactly how the night went down. I was exhausted from working 47 hours that week, and I had no
time to do anything to prep for the date, and our kids were awful and
wouldn't go to bed until later than I had hoped, so we only had the time
and energy to make Brigadeiros and then watch Rio. *sigh* Oh well... I
guess we'll just have to visit Brazil for date night again soon, and I
can do all the other things I had planned!
 |
| This is how I informed Jacob of our date night... you can make your own plane tickets here. How fun is that? |
 |
| Our Brigadeiros! They were delicious! |
P.S. I forgot to mention that Jacob served his mission for our church in Brazil, so he lived there for 2 years and speaks Portuguese. That's why I chose Brazil for our date night... I thought it would be fun for him to "revisit". haha :)
1 comment:
That date night idea is so cute! I love the ticket idea. I will definitely have to try this out some time.
Post a Comment