| Our office-themed food: Stanley's Free Pretzel, Big Tuna Sandwiches, & Dunder Muffins |
Saturday we had our first date night from Jacob's birthday present, which I explained in my last post (in case you have no idea what I'm talking about). Our date night was Jamaican-themed, so I made Jerk Chicken. The recipe I used was not authentic Jamaican Jerk, but it sure was delicious! I was a little worried as I was blending all of the ingredients into a gross-looking greenish slop to pour on top of the chicken, but it was SO good. I started getting excited as it was cooking because it smelled amazing. (You're also supposed to make jerk chicken on the grill, but we don't have a grill, so we had to settle for baked.) We had rice and zucchini with the chicken--no special Jamaican recipes there, just normal rice & zucchini. I also tried a recipe for baked plantains with cinnamon & sugar, but they were awful. Most of the recipes fry them, but I didn't want to stand over the stove getting scalded by hot oil, so I went with the oven recipe. Maybe they would have been better fried, but I don't think I'll ever buy plantains again to try... they just tasted so bad. Anyway, we also listened to Jamaican music on the computer as we ate. After dinner, we watched Cool Runnings, which was even better than I remembered from when I would watch it as a kid. I was worried it would be one of those movies that aren't as fun to watch as an adult, but it's definitely not. It was even funnier than I remembered.
Sadly, I took no photos of our dinner or of anything else on our date night. It had been an awful day, and the kids had been terrible, and it was hard enough just to get everything ready for the date and get the kids in bed so that we could have our kid-free date night, so I didn't bother with taking any pictures. I regret it now, but oh well! For our next date, I'll definitely make sure I get some pictures. In October, we go to Germany for Oktoberfest!
2 comments:
Eric makes fried plantains from his mission in Panama. They are yummy!! You have to fry them, then flatten them, then flatten them again. Never had them with cinnamin and sugar though. If we ever come visit, we will make them. :)
Oh my gosh! I seriously loved the office food....sooooo awesome! Great ideas, you're so creative!
Post a Comment