Thursday, October 1, 2009

Why everyone in our home HATES cops...

As most of you know, Jacob was arrested last November, about 3 days before we started dating. I had the wonderful honor of being with him when it happened... I even got to call his mother, whom I had never before spoken to, to tell her the fantastic news. It was highly exciting. Jacob's account of the night can be found on his blog here.

For those of you who don't know the story, Jacob had two warrants out for his arrest, which he had no knowledge of. The first was for a taillight violation, and the second was for expired registration. He had taken care of the taillight violation right after he had gotten it, but the records were flawed and for some reason didn't show it, and he thought he had taken care of the expired registration, but apparently he hadn't. Anyway, he had no knowledge that either ticket was a problem--he never received any notices about them. Because they weren't taken care of for such a long time, the fines skyrocketed and the warrants were issued. They also suspended his license... all without bothering to inform him. So then when he got pulled over on our way to the hot springs (for going barely 10 over on the FREEWAY! Give me a break...) he was promptly arrested and hauled off to the local jail. And this kind, considerate cop left my roommate and I stranded on the side of I-15 at 10:00 on a Saturday night in the middle of nowhere, because neither of us could drive Jacob's car (it was a stick shift). The cop knew this, just as he knew that we were an hour away from anyone that could help us, but he stranded us anyway. I started bawling as soon as the cop drove off. But that has nothing to do with my point tonight.

I thought that this whole ridiculous situation was behind us. Silly me! Today, I find out that because of this whole idiotic incident, our car insurance has skyrocketed to $4000 a year! We can't pay that! I'm a freakin' first year teacher, and I don't even make enough to pay our bills as it is, so using 2 months of my income to pay for car insurance is not a possibility. So now we have to talk to an attorney or some other fantastically intelligent person who charges a lot of money so that we can find a way to get affordable car insurance.

Obviously, my husband is a maniac who should not be allowed on the roads. Forget the drunk drivers and the druggies out there... who cares about them. We need to punish the decent people like Jacob, because those taillight violations and expired registrations... those are some real problems.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Oh my. Are you with a company that allows you to pay your premiums monthly? You may have to insure just the bare minimum with high deductables in order to be able to afford it.
Call me tonight and I will brainstorm with you. I have been known to find the cheapest way to everything. ;0)
Love you sis. Hang in there. Money sucks. It always will.