Friday, February 26, 2010

Never Say Never

I used to say that I would never play World of Warcraft--I used to make fun of all of my friends who played. But then I married Jacob, and somehow he convinced me one day to make a character, and then I realized that it was actually quite fun. Although I seem to get bored of my characters by the time they get to about level 30, because then I abandon them and start over with a new character. I have a level 29 blood elf paladin named Lexandra, a level 32 human mage named Lynnora, and my newest character is currently a level 13 night elf hunter named Xylena. My very first character was a gnome mage named Xyli who I only played with for a few levels and then abandoned. I spent almost as much time creating her than I did playing--you have to make a lot of decisions when you create a character, even down to choosing their hair color and making up a name... it's like designing a little doll to play with. I think you're supposed to use the special abilities of each of the races and different classes to guide your decisions more than their physical appearance, but I definitely cared more about things like their robe color than I did about what they could do.

Anyway, last night I did something else I said I would never do: I joined a guild on World of Warcraft. I didn't want to join them. I started my newest character a few days ago in a realm for new players, and I've rejected many requests to join new guilds since I started playing her, but this one wouldn't take no for an answer. I think they were just getting started and desperate for members. I tried everything short of logging out of the game to avoid them. I declined their invitations. I said no. I gave them all of my excuses. And they shot them all down, one by one. I told them that I never had any idea what I was doing in the game and that I had no desire to play with other people. I told them that I didn't want other people around to witness the many stupid things that I undoubtedly do every time I play. When they tried to tell me of the many benefits of being in a guild, I had no idea what anything they were talking about even meant. But they didn't care--they used my arguments against me and pointed out that if I was in their guild, they could explain things to me and help me out. So when I ran out of excuses, I caved and joined their little guild. And then I spent the remainder of the night avoiding anyone I saw that was in the guild. If they were doing the same quest as I was, I ran the other way and did something else instead. I knew it was ridiculous even as I was doing it. I know that I am still just a player on a computer screen to them--they don't know who I am. But for some reason, just knowing that I was now in their little group made me feel less anonymous. So I ran away. The only good thing about it was that random people started Congratulating me when I leveled or got a new achievement, which made me feel strangely good about myself.

So there you have my public confession. I have not only played World of Warcraft, but I liked it. I get excited when Jacob signs off because it means I can get on and play. And now I've written a blog post about it, which makes me even more pathetic. :)

5 comments:

Jen R. said...

hahahahahahahahahhahaha ditto! I choose to be a blood elf mage cause I thought she was the prettiest and had the prettiest clothes. jared begs me to be somehting else so I can help him but I refse because I WANT TO BE PRETTY. hahahha I actually liked being in the guild cause they would help me do things and tell me where to go and stuff...but that was before they started showing you on the map where quests are and stuff.

Alicia said...

HAHAHAHAHA! I know exactly how you feel.

I decided to choose a pretty Blood Elf Mage when the first expansion came out and was immediately bombarded by guild requests- it was weird/scary. And I am really bad at saying no and making up excuses. That guild I joined is *crazy*. So I know how you feel. I don't really play that character anymore. But I like the robe she's currently wearing, and I don't want to level her because I'm afraid the best stat options will be ugly. Plus, I really don't want to play in the Barrens. :)

Creating characters is one of my favorite parts of the game, too. I have 4-5 characters that are level 10 or less, but I think they're pretty.

I caved in eventually and bought my own account. Now Stephen and I run instances together and it's really scary, because the anonymity is gone and I'm afraid I'll kill everyone if I make a mistake. But still fun, if intimidating.

What server do you play on? We should be in-game friends, too.

Jacob Romney said...

She was panicking when they were inviting her to join a guild. I was on the other side of the room and she kept calling over to me asking what to do. It was pretty funny.

Julie my dear, you're doing fine on this character. I barely have to help you at all anymore.

Angie said...

I don't have a clue what any of this means.

The Romneys said...

haha Angie, I know... unless you know a little about the game, this won't make sense.

Alicia, I got my own account this summer, and I really liked playing with Jacob, but we started getting annoyed when a bunch of 80s would kill us over and over again every time we got on. So we stopped playing and I stopped using my account. I want to reactivate it though so I can play with him again. He is the one person I would like to play with. He knows I don't know what I'm doing, but he doesn't care. :)