Sunday, October 17, 2010

Oh, how I love my baby girl!

Naomi is a terrible sleeper. She will fall asleep on her own initially, which is great, but she absolutely refuses to stay asleep for any decent length of time. We have been working on this... especially the fact that lately, she has decided to wake up for a 3-hour period only a couple hours after bedtime, meaning that she really doesn't go down for the night until around midnight, which has been absolutely awful.

The past 3 nights have been much better. And tonight, as she woke up briefly around 9:30 and started fussing, I ran in to see if our good luck would continue. I popped her pacifier back in and wrapped her blanket around her, and she rolled over lazily onto her side and closed her eyes. But as I stood there looking at my beautiful sleepy baby, all I wanted to do was pick her up and snuggle her close. I stood there, hearing all of the warnings in my mind that I've heard from a thousand people... about how important it is to get Naomi on a good sleeping schedule now while she is young; about how I shouldn't do anything to lose any headway I gain with her sleeping habits; about how sometimes, as a mom, I'll have to be tough (that one usually comes from the moms/doctors who favor the whole "let your baby cry themselves to sleep" method, which I am not a fan of)... and then I remembered one more thing that I'd heard from a thousand moms: Your children will grow up way too fast, and you will yearn for the days when they were tiny babies.

So I picked my baby girl up and snuggled her good. And as I put her in the big bed beside me, she smiled at me behind her pacifier and put her hands on my cheeks, and I knew I had made the right decision.


3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

well, you know how i feel... snuggling a little baby is always the right choice!

and, in a few months here, you'll be shocked at the change in her sleep, something about 9 or 10 months just clicks and all of a sudden you can actually get stuff done during naps or stay up late and watch movies and stuff, like real people!

shell8170 said...

awww what a good mommy and Jules you so did the right thing. They do grow too fast and its way sad when they go so enjoy it!

Katie K said...

haha I'm the same way! My baby will never know how to go to sleep on her own. It just breaks my heart to listen to her cry like that! That picture is adorable by the way. She's getting so big!