Note: I wrote this post on the 17th but didn't post it right away, and then we lost the internet we had been using and didn't get internet again until a couple days ago. So I wasn't able to post this until now.
The past week has been a pretty crazy one for our family! I don't think I'd want to repeat it even if you gave me a thousand bucks. Last Monday, we got the call from our new housing management telling us to come in the next day to sign the lease & get our keys. So we made plans to get the Uhaul and have help come on Wednesday to make the move. We didn't have our stuff completely packed up yet, but I knew we could have it done by Wednesday if we worked hard.
I woke up sometime in the middle of the night and I instantly knew I was sick. The upstairs in our old place was always really hot, so I never slept with more than a sheet, and even then I was usually pretty warm. So when I woke up covered with our huge, heavy comforter, and it just felt wonderfully toasty, I knew I had a fever. I spent Tuesday in a haze, with a fever that would spike at 103 before it would break (with the assistance of Tylenol & Ibuprofen) and then come down. I somehow made it through what seemed like an eternity of signing papers for our new lease, and I also made it to the doctor's office, where I found out I had Mastitis (as I had suspected). Jacob ran to Walmart to get my antibiotics for me, and for the rest of the day we got absolutely nothing accomplished. This meant that nothing else got packed for the move, which was a pretty big problem considering we were picking up the Uhaul at 9 am the next day.
On Wednesday morning, I tried to convince Jacob to put off the move for a few days because my fever was still shooting up to 103, and I was still completely miserable. But Jacob's mom & brother were coming to help us, and we had already reserved the Uhaul, so he really wanted to get it done. I was pretty much useless, so the three of them did most of the packing and loading up the truck. Since we had gotten nothing packed the day before, we could only load the big furniture pieces and the small number of boxes I had packed for the move in advance. This left a TON of stuff still unpacked at our old apartment, which meant that Jacob & I would have to make lots of trips back and forth with our little car to get everything moved.
By midday Thursday, I was finally feeling pretty decent, but it only lasted about a day. By Friday night, my mastitis was back with a vengeance. My fever was spiking back up to 103, and I was feeling completely awful. Saturday I went in to urgent care, where they gave me a shot of another kind of antibiotics. The doctor also mentioned that the reason I might not have been getting better (or started to get better and then got worse again) could be that I had an abscess. When I asked what could be done if that was the case, she gave me this look and said, "Let's just hope you don't have one." That lead me to believe that it would be pretty unpleasant... haha.
On Sunday, I googled "mastitis" to see if I could find anything else to help me, since I wasn't responding to the antibiotics as I should have been, and in my research, I discovered that the pharmacy had given me the wrong directions for my prescription. I called the pharmacy to double check, and I was right... I had been taking two extra doses every day. I don't think it affected my recovery, but I had very unpleasant side effects from the medication that were probably a lot worse than they would have been if I hadn't been taking extra doses.
By Monday, I felt really weak and still kinda sick, but I was finally starting to feel a little better again. By Tuesday I felt pretty good, but I had to go in to see my doctor yet again because I was worried I had an abscess. After my doctor checked me out, she was also worried that something was going on (either an abscess or something else), so she scheduled an appointment for me at the breast clinic for the next day. By some miracle, by the time I was seen at the breast clinic on Wednesday, the lump that had been present for the past 4 days was pretty much gone. I have no idea how it disappeared overnight, but I am definitely not complaining! The doctor scheduled an ultrasound for me anyway in two weeks, but I'm planning on cancelling if I still don't seem to have a problem.
So there you have it... our crazy, awful week. But I'm finally feeling better, and hopefully things will start to calm down so we can get unpacked and get our new place looking pretty!
No comments:
Post a Comment