Sunday, April 7, 2013

Kite Flying Day

Columbia Parks & Recreation hosted Kite Flying Day yesterday at one of the parks.  They even gave out free kites to anyone who didn't have one.  Naomi absolutely LOVED it.  She was so excited, watching all the different kites and helping Daddy to fly our kite.  Somehow we went through 3 kites on Saturday before finding one that worked well... the first one I broke in the morning trying to put it together, the second broke after about 5 minutes in the air, and the third should have been the best one but was defective and simply wouldn't fly at all.  A generous man gave us one of his kites, and that's the one that finally worked for us.  I was really bummed about the second kite... it was a Blue Macaw kite (you know, like the birds in the movie Rio!), and it was awesome.  It flew really well, too, but someone's kite string got tangled in our kite and cut the bird in half.  It was pretty sad.
Our awesome blue macaw kite... you can see where it was ripped by the string.  It's a big kite--as wide as our bed!
Trying to fly our defective kite.
Aleta did nothing but run around, fall a lot, and get caught in quite a few kite strings.  I spent the entire time running after her, trying to keep her out of everyone's way, and untangling her from string.  But I'm so glad we went--Naomi had a blast, and that made it all worth it!  Even Jacob had fun, and he won the highest kite competition!!  As a prize, Naomi won a butterfly kite (so perfect for her!) and Jacob won another kite as well!  So even though all 3 of our kites ended up breaking or not working, we came out of the day with 3 new kites!
Naomi's new butterfly kite!
Naomi & Jacob with our 3 new kites!
Naomi & Aleta both made new friends while we were there... Aleta kept running into the middle of groups of college guys, and when our kites kept breaking, a group of college girls befriended Naomi and helped her fly their kites.  When I came back from one of my runs to chase down Aleta, I found Jacob and Naomi surrounded by the group of college girls.  Thankfully, they were only paying attention to Naomi and not to my studly husband, or we would have had a problem.  haha!

Sadly, I hardly got any pictures because I never got to stick around for more than a minute or two before Aleta would take off and I'd have to chase after her again, but I did get a few pictures.  Jacob & Naomi also had their photo taken by a photographer, so there was a cute one of them posted online!





This was the photo taken by the photographer.

No comments: