Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Baby Girl

Today, Naomi took her first step. I say "step", not "steps", because it was only one. She let go of the plastic bin she was holding onto and took one step so that she could hold onto the edge of the couch. I know, I know... that probably seems pretty insignificant to you, but it was the first time she has ever tried to walk without maintaining a grip on something! And to her parents, it was exciting.

I can't believe how big she is getting. I can't believe that in less than 2 months we will celebrate her first birthday. I already miss being able to hold her while she sleeps, like I could do when she was a newborn. I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have in the moment, because she would only sleep if we held her--she screamed as soon as we made any attempt to put her in her bed, and it was frustrating and exhausting. But now, she will only sleep in her bed or her carseat. Every once in a while, after I've nursed her in the middle of the night, she will fall asleep while I am still holding her. On these nights, I sit in her room in the dark for a little while longer, treasuring those peaceful moments with my baby. I want to remember everything about those moments... exactly how I was feeling and what I was thinking and how beautiful she looked as I held her in her sleep. She is growing too fast!

Naomi makes us laugh all the time. About a week ago, Jacob was changing her diaper on the floor in her room, and I was around the corner putting on makeup at the bathroom mirror. I heard Jacob say, "Hey, come back here!" followed by a little giggle from Naomi and some shuffling noises. So I popped my head out to see my naked baby, laughing and crawling as fast as she could away from her Daddy. She looked back at Jacob to see him coming after her, and with more giggles began crawling even faster. It was the first time I remember her really playing with us.


Two days ago, I was sitting on the couch while Naomi played on the living room floor. The space heater was sitting a few feet away, and I had forgotten to unplug it like I usually do when Naomi is roaming. She was curious, as most babies are, and she somehow managed to turn it on. I guess the sudden noise of the heater scared her, because she started whining and crawled over to me as fast as her little legs could bring her. Then she wrapped her little arms around my leg in a death grip and turned to glare at the heater. It was so cute.

She will respond to her name, and not only when Jacob or I call her. She even turned when the doctor called her by her name at her checkup yesterday. She hates the word "no", or she at least hates my tone of voice when I say it. She is already a little drama queen and will frequently throw mini tantrums when she doesn't get what she wants. She hates to get her diaper changed, and whenever possible, Jacob and I have to work together so that one of us can hold her down while the other changes the diaper. When he isn't home I have to hold her down with one leg while I change her, but even so, she usually wriggles her way out of my grip. She is strong! She accidentally kicked me in the eye one day when I was trying to dress her after her bath, and it hurt for hours afterward.


She is stubborn, and frustrating, and silly, and smart, and beautiful, and I can't even begin to explain how much I love her.


My little Naomi-girl.

3 comments:

Jen R. said...

Naomi is so cute. Jared is always talking about how cute she is.

Angie said...

She IS growing up fast! She has her mama's beautiful eyes.

(I got your email and will reply after I take a nap today ;o) )

Eddie Zacapa said...

What a nice blog. Beautiful family.