Wednesday, February 2, 2011

SNOW!

I used to absolutely LOVE snow. It was beautiful and magical and fun. When it snowed, I would become giddy. It made me inexplicably happy. It didn't matter what else had been stressing me out or going wrong in my life or getting me down... Life was great, because it was snowing!

Then I graduated from college and got a job and a car, and snow was no longer this wonderful, magical thing. It was terrible. It caused the roads to be unsafe and scary, and it doubled my commute to work. It forced me to spend ten minutes scraping my car in the morning before I could even start that commute. Instead of erasing my stress, it created more stress. I had entered "the real world", and there, snow was just an annoyance.

But snow has started to bring me a little happiness again. A major snowstorm hit us here in Missouri yesterday and lasted most of the day, and although I wasn't giddy, I was definitely pleased! As a result of the 18 inches of snow that fell in Columbia, the University of Missouri is closed until Friday! This means that I got to have my husband at home with me ALL day yesterday and today, and I will get to keep him home with me all day again tomorrow!

Here is the view out of our back doors (that big colorful building in our backyard is Burger King):
And here is the view out of our front door:
I put on my boots so that I could run out to the car to get our water bottles, and then I saw this wall of snow. My favorite part is that you can see the indentations in the snow from the door.

We took Naomi outside today to play in the snow for the first time ever! It lasted about two minutes. I don't think it was her favorite thing in the world, but she didn't seem to hate it. We came inside so quickly because I was worried about Naomi's hands getting cold--we didn't have anything to put on her hands except for some cloth mittens that got cold & wet as soon as she touched the snow. We didn't have boots for her, either, so we put her feet in little ziploc baggies before putting her shoes on. I felt a little like white trash as I was doing it, but it kept her feet dry!
Getting Naomi ready:
Ziploc baggies:
First time in the snow!

Daddy & Naomi (she is licking her coat):
Mommy & Naomi (don't judge me, I have no makeup on):

Someday I hope that my crazy love for snow comes back, but for now, I am at least enjoying being snowed in with my little family!

1 comment:

Angie said...

I love snow, because as I always say, I would rather see the beautiful white all over than the ugly dead brown colors. :o) And being snowed-in with your family is always a plus! have fun!