Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sleepless

I can count on one hand the number of times that I've been awake for the sunrise. I feel that it is unnatural for any sane person to be awake at that hour in the morning. I can (and often do, recently) sleep until noon. And yet here I am, at not quite 6 am, wide awake and watching the sky getting increasingly brighter outside our little basement window.

I used to be a GREAT sleeper. I could sleep anywhere, in any position, easily for 12 hours straight. I remember a Monday night a couple years ago when, in the middle of folding and sorting clean laundry on my bed, I got sleepy and decided to take a quick nap. I crawled into the corner of my bed where there was about a square foot of empty space, curled into a ball half-covered with clothes, and fell asleep for a few hours. (The best naps, by the way, are at least 3 hours long.)

I used to sleep so deeply, too. I used to joke around that someone could break in my bedroom window, steal everything in the room including the sheets I was sleeping on, and I would still be asleep when they left. I'm pretty sure every one of my roommates wanted to kill me at one time or another, because I was one of those annoying people whose alarm clock would beep, and beep, and beep... and they never wake up. Or I would somehow hit snooze before I was conscious enough to comprehend that I needed to wake up, so my alarm would go off numerous times.

Sadly, I don't sleep well anymore. I wake up to the smallest noises, and once woken up, I have a hard time getting back to sleep. And my bladder control is not at all what it once was--I wake up at least once or twice every night because I have to pee. I'm pretty sure I have Naomi to blame for my sleep problems... but she's so adorable that I will forgive her.



4 comments:

Leah said...

ha. i think the sleeping so deep that you sleep through every alarm is hereditary. because i cant tell you the last time brent actually got up to his first 3 alarms. haha.

Welcome! said...

leah!

I just stumbled upon your sweet sweet blog and couldn't help but click your follow button!! your blog is lovely and i look forward to following your adventures in the future!

xo, kate

Angie said...

Aw, She gets cuter every day.

Jenny said...

Julie, this post made me smile and think back to the dorms at BYU. I clearly remember calling your phone nearly every morning one semester so you could make it to our morning English class on time. Ha ha. And the lack of sleep because of babies is sooooo worth it. Great post!