Friday, June 25, 2010

How do you train your man?

I have come to an important realization about my husband this past year: Special occasions/holidays are not his forte.

Valentine's Day was the one holiday on which he remembered to do something nice. But for my birthday, Christmas, my first Mother's Day as a mom, and now our first anniversary... nothing. It's not even that he forgets that it's a holiday... that fact, he remembers. He just forgets that on those days, you're supposed to do something special for your wife. I've even tried being so direct as to say, "Jacob, for my birthday I want this movie on DVD," and still, nothing. I love Jacob with all my heart, but the man is hopeless!

Are all husbands this clueless when it comes to special occasions? Mine is in need of some serious training... and my birthday is coming up! ;)

5 comments:

The Brown Family said...

I've been upfront with my husband about holidays and my expectations. He's done great, sometimes he needs a little extra help remembering the day before. After our first Christmas when I tried to give him hints on what I wanted as my ONE gift and didn't get anything close to what I hoped for, we're just upfront with each other rather then wasting time and our money.

Another thing is I love Flowers, so I told Chris my dream of having fresh flowers always in my home someday, he bought me flowers once and I wanted to make sure he knew how much I appreciated him/them by saying thank you daily, commenting about them also on a daily bases, it helped him see how much something so simple meant to me and he ended up bringing them home on a monthly bases, I love it. Anyways, everyone is different, but with every year it gets easier to predict what works for us!

Mallory said...

Tim is the same way! So, I just buy my own presents and give them to him to give to me! haha. It seems like no fun but once Tim bought me gifts and he bought me stuff I already had! He told me he thought I would like it. WELL OF COURSE I would like something I already had. So, after that I just buy my own stuff and give to him to give to me. I love it because I hate surprises and I have learned not to expect much gifts from Tim and I get exactly what I want.

Jen R. said...

I think its a romney thing. Jared is hopeless as well. and i dont know what to do either...

Diane Bartholomew said...

What I don't get is why some men don't realize the huge impact the tiniest surprise/thought/gift - whatever it is - makes, and how much it would in turn benefit THEM and enrich the relationship. Men only shoot themselves in the foot by ignoring special days knowing they mean so much to their wives. And with sooo little effort!! Just a thought----

Alicia said...

Stephen's pretty good most of the time, but the thing we've struggled the most with are flowers. I LOVE getting flowers, but I don't think I'm as great as he'd prefer at showing appreciation for the flowers. He prefers a blunt touch... something along the lines of: "Honey, thanks for the flowers! You deserve a hot make-out session for these!" Then we usually laugh. However, it's memorable- and then I get flowers more than once a year.