Since our first anniversary was such a bust, Jacob and I decided to choose another day and pretend that it was our anniversary. So yesterday was the day! Jacob's sister Rachel came over to watch Naomi for us, and Jacob and I went for a bike ride. We had bought Jacob a cheap bike at Walmart a little over a month ago so we could ride together, but we hadn't yet been able to find the time. I really wanted to ride on the bike trail going up through the Provo Canyon parks, and this was our last chance. It was fun, but it really showed me how out of shape I am! 5 minutes into riding, I was completely exhausted and seriously contemplating turning around. But somehow we made it from our starting point at Bridal Veil Falls to the trail's end at Vivian Park. Sadly, I forgot to bring my camera, so I didn't get any pictures. I want to drive up through the canyon once more before we leave... it's just so beautiful. I am really going to miss these mountains! *sigh* Every time I think about leaving Utah for good next week, I want to cry.
Anyway, back to our anniversary! I know tradition dictates that you save the top layer of your wedding cake, freeze it for a year, and then eat it on your first anniversary... but personally, I think this is completely ridiculous. Wedding cakes are extremely expensive! Everything about our wedding was done cheaply, including the cake, but what we paid was still an outrageous amount of money to pay for a cake in my opinion. So why on earth would I want to freeze my cake for a year?! Cake that has been frozen for that long will never be as good as it was when it was fresh. So we ate the top layer of our cake as soon as we got back from our honeymoon. It was delicious, and I don't regret it at all! And instead of eating year-old wedding cake yesterday, we spent 8 bucks at a bakery and bought a delicious, FRESH German Chocolate cake. It was scrumptious!
In other news, Naomi turned 3 months old on the 22nd. I ended up having to take her to the doctor for something random on that day, which wasn't fun, but the good news was that it meant we got her updated weight and height! She now weighs a whopping 11 pounds, 11 ounces (exactly 6 pounds more than she was at birth) and is 23 inches long! I can't believe how much she has grown! She is more than double her birth weight.
Thankfully, she has changed as much in temperament as she has in size. The first 6-8 weeks of her life, she screamed constantly. It was really hard! I knew that newborns cried, and I thought I could handle crying babies as well as anyone, but it was SO much harder than I had expected. It didn't help that all of my friends who had babies around the same time all seemed to have perfect, happy babies who never cried or fussed and who slept 8-hours straight right off the bat. (Ok, so that may be an exaggeration, but that's how it seemed. And Naomi still wakes up every 3 hours or so for feedings... the girl loves to eat!)
Anyway, Naomi now seems almost like a different child. She is so good and so happy! She really only gets upset when she is hungry or when she doesn't feel well. She is perfectly content much of the time to just be near us or to play on her musical rainforest play mat (I LOVE that thing... I will post pictures of her playing in it later). She always has smiles for her mommy and daddy, and we love it. We love our baby girl!
3 comments:
The cake looks good, but no thank you on the coconut. Yuck. :0)
Agreed w/Angie^. It looked yummy, though! Imagining you riding a bike through the canyon makes me feel uber jealous. I miss Summer in Utah. And I'm sure my saying that is not helping you cope with moving away. Sorry. :)
Hope everything's going good with the moving plans. Miss you.
I actually agree with both of you... I hate coconut. But Jacob loves that kind of cake, so I wanted him to have it! It was yummy, despite the coconut.
Post a Comment