As I was job-hunting online today, I came across this article about breastfeeding in public. It told about numerous occasions where women were asked to leave establishments or to move to other locations to breastfeed their babies. I was shocked. I was naive enough to believe that because there are laws that protect a woman's right to breastfeed their children in public, that it shouldn't be a problem. Breasts are EVERYWHERE in our society as sex objects, and that's ok... women walk around half-dressed with shirts that not only expose their chest but that enhance it as well to make it even more sexually appealing, and that's ok... and yet, people are disgusted with breastfeeding! Breasts are beautiful and sexy, until you attach a baby to them... then suddenly they're offensive. I don't understand it. Breastfeeding is natural. Women have done it for thousands of years. The research has shown time and again that breastfeeding is best for babies. So why are people so squeamish around it?
One woman in the article mentioned that she was even covered with a blanket when she was asked to leave. Seriously?! No one could even see any skin, but just knowing that she was breastfeeding under the blanket was enough to gross them out. Breastfeeding is hard enough--I would have given up on day 2 if I hadn't had help from the hospital lactation specialist, and I almost gave up again a few weeks later and probably would have if it hadn't been for all of the encouragement I received from friends and family. Americans need to shape up, grow up, and embrace breastfeeding instead of shunning it.
5 comments:
Okay, so I read the article... at first I thought it was going to be on the side of the general public, but thankfully not.
Americans are so ridiculous. We have a society that say, embrace your sexuality but it is then in turn repressed. And breast have become sex objects, but I hate to break it to everyone, but their primary function is to nourish and soothe our children.
The ladies in that article are way nicer than me... I would be flipping stuff over and causing a scene.
Okay, maybe not that bad... but still.
It's too true though... I always have myself psyched up to give someone a piece of my mind if they tell me not to nurse in public.
Gah! Now my blood pressure is up, hahaha!
Anyway, Julie, you should check out Best for Babes... they're on facebook and have a website and they are the bomb!
You flash those breasts in public Julie!
Amen! Talk about calling good evil and evil good.
Hi there! I'm just following Cjane around & wanted to say I hear you! I do think a woman should cover up if she can (not just pull the whole thing out for all to see), but I don't see why it bothers people so much. They can just look the other way if it bugs them so much!
Personally, I have less confidence nursing in public than I did with my first & I think it's because of all the judgers!
I agree!! If more people breastfed their children, I really think we'd have a much healthier, smarter society. Not to mention parents would bond with their children and there wouldn't be as many dysfunctional fat kids running around...ok, so I'm really not that pessimistic, I just see a lot of kids and there are a lot of messed up ones. :) Keep breastfeeding that cute baby of yours! It's TOTALLY worth it!
Post a Comment