Monday, July 20, 2009

Hooray for storm clouds and fabulous friends!

My apologies for last night's rant! I really don't deal well with heat, and I just needed another outlet when I started feeling bad for complaining to Jacob all night. :)

Today, our apartment temperature steadily rose until it reached approximately 86 degrees. Blech. Despite that, today was a thousand times easier for us than yesterday, thanks to our wonderful neighbors and friends who let us crash in their air-conditioned living room. We had other offers of air-conditioned homes, as well, from more of our gracious friends who took pity on us. (Thank you, friends! We love you.) I also took two cold showers today, which helped in dealing with the heat.

I was worried that by the time we got home tonight it was going to be up to 90, but luckily, some dark storm clouds rolled in and drastically cooled the temperature outside. So I turned our broken swamp cooler back on (it works as nothing more than a fan) and it has been bringing in some cooler air from outside. It's still about 80 in here and hotter than it is outside, but 80 is better than 86.

On a happy note, our maintenance man promised us that he would come tomorrow to fix our swamp cooler! Hopefully it stays fixed this time. He "fixed" it on Thursday, and it worked lovely for about 2 days and then broke again, worse than ever. So let's all keep our fingers crossed!!

Anyway, enough about heat! On another happy note, my birthday is on Saturday! We were going to go see the new Harry Potter movie this weeked to celebrate, but we've decided we can't wait that long. So we're going tomorrow. Yay! And I only feel a little guilty about going early... it's at least the week of my birthday, so I've decided that makes it ok.

Also on a happy note, I found our marriage license! Not that it was lost, exactly, but our second bedroom (a.k.a. "the storage room") is full of boxes and bins full of stuff that we haven't found places for, and the marriage license somehow found its way into that room. So it was a bit difficult to find. But Sarah came down today and braved the heat to help me find it. Tomorrow I have big plans to finally get my name changed and get my new social security card and drivers license. My current drivers license expires on my birthday, so I have been a little worried about finding the marriage license in time.

Now I am going to go snuggle my sweaty husband in our bed! Happy Monday!

3 comments:

Angie said...

Glad things are looking up for you.

We are hoping to see Harry Potter sometime this week too.

Jen R. said...

I didn't change my driver's license or credit cards for an entire year after we got married. I'm a procrastinator. The only reason I did at that point was because my mom booked me a flight using romney as my last name and I needed ID that matched to get on the plane!

shell8170 said...

We went to see Harry Potter with the Recks at midnight on opening. I had to work the next day and was a bit sleepy but I think it was pretty good. Have a happy birthday and don't worry about ranting...you should be able to say anything you want to say to your friends and never worry that they will judge you so it's all good! Glad it's looking like you'll get your air fixed soon!!! I just got back from an 11.3 mile hike in the heat with Tiff and we were drenched in sweat! No AC in sight...I feel your pain sista! LOL