Monday, August 3, 2009

We suck at keeping secrets.

Well, we weren't going to tell anyone yet, but since we got too excited and already told all of the three people who read our little blog, I guess I can make the announcement now: We're pregnant! Because of the higher risk of miscarriage in the first trimester, we wanted to wait until closer to the second trimester to tell people... but as I said, we got too excited! Here is the picture of the lovely stick I peed on:


I was surprised that it even showed up positive the day I took the first pregnancy test (I took 3... we got them all from friends as gag gifts, so I figured I may as well use them all). My period could easily still have been coming--it was no more than a couple days late. But I had just had this feeling for the previous week or so that I was pregnant, and I didn't want to wait any longer. Besides, we had 3 tests, so I figured I could waste one and take the test early.

I've been feeling SUPER emotional lately. I hate it. I tear up at the most ridiculous things. I was reading a Pregnancy magazine at the doctor's office yesterday because I had been waiting forever and was incredibly bored, and I read this story about a pregnant woman who started tearing up as she was unloading the dishwasher because she was thinking about how she would someday teach her child to unload the dishwasher. It sounded completely ridiculous! And yet as I sat there, thinking about how ridiculous it was, my throat started feeling tight, and I started tearing up! I hate not having more control over my emotions.

On a different topic, Jacob made dinner yesterday! I was very impressed. I have begged him to make us dinner a few times lately because I've been so exhausted, but he always tells me that "It's impossible!" and that he is "incapable of cooking". I always tell him that his excuses are ludicrous and that anyone can follow a recipe... but I did get a little worried when I asked him to make a can of tomato soup once, and he dumped the can in a bowl, stuck it in the microwave, and called it good. The first thing it says on the can is to add a can of water! But somehow he didn't even see that step. Silly boy.

Anyway, I have been sick for the past couple days, so I begged him last night to make dinner for us. He sent me to lay down on the couch while he made pasta and mashed potatoes, the two things in our pantry that he felt he could handle. Every few minutes I would hear a strange squeal or yelp coming from the kitchen, so I would jump up and run in to see what I could help with, but he would just send me back to sit on the couch. Despite whatever happened in there to cause all of his yells, dinner was delicious! So thank you, honey!

After dinner, we watched Rat Race and snuggled on the couch. Jacob laughed SO hard during that movie. I loved it. I love it when my husband finds something genuinely funny and laughs really hard... for some reason, I find it adorable.

Pictures of the hubby making dinner: (Please excuse our messy kitchen/table... I've been sick.)

7 comments:

Angie said...

Wow, good job Jacob! Now we know Julie won't starve if she is too tired to make dinner. ;-)

And more than 3 people read this blog, you know that. None-the-less, I was grateful for your call last week. Happy for you guys and can't wait to see what the future holds. I love you, little sister!

Katie K said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I'm SO jealous! Congratulations!!!!!! When is the baby shower??? I'm going to buy you cute baby stuff!

Mallory said...

CONGRATS!!! I just asked Tim last night when you were going to annouce it on the blog or FB!!! I am so happy for you guys!! Our babies wont be that far apart!! YAY!!! We are so happy for you!

Elizabeth said...

Jacob! I am impressed! Juile, if you need anything, let me know! I know how incredibly draining the first trimester is... bleh. But on the bright side our kids are only going to be like, 10 months apart!

Mallory said...

I know! It seems we got pregnant at the right time! Because all my friends are pregnant too! So, FUN! When is your due date? How far along are you? Was this a honeymoon baby?! I have some fun baby websites I can email you. Your going to love/hate being pregnant! :))

Dottie said...

What a huge blessing! Congratulations!

Heather said...

OH MY GOSH JULIE! Congratulations! That is amazing!