Friday, May 18, 2012

Disappointed

I signed up for Groupon months & months ago, and I would check every once in a while to see what kind of awesome deals they had, but since we really had no money to spend, I never bought any of their deals.  Then a few months ago I got an email from them saying that they missed me and were giving me 10 free Groupon Bucks to use toward one of their deals.  I'm not sure how they missed me considering I'd never given them any business, but I wasn't complaining!  A few days later, they were offering a deal in Kansas City for a place called Big Momma's Bakery Cafe--pay $7 for $14 worth of yummies.  I'd heard my sister-in-law Jen rave about their cinnamon rolls on numerous occasions, so I bought the deal!  And since I was using my free Groupon Bucks, I was basically getting 14 dollars worth of bakery yumminess for free!

Jacob & I first tried to use our Groupon last month.  We were in the Kansas City area for the weekend so that we could go to the open house for the new LDS temple.  Jacob's mom watched the kiddos for us, so we decided to make the most of our kid-free outing and stopped at Big Momma's on our way home.  Sadly, when we got to the bakery, they were pretty much sold out of everything.  I was really disappointed and pretty annoyed, especially since we arrived 2 hours before they were supposed to close.  I feel like it's pretty poor planning on their part to be completely sold out hours before closing time.  So we drove home empty-handed & hungry!

This past weekend, we were in the Kansas City area once more visiting Jacob's family, so we decided to try again.  This time, we went on a weekday around noon in hopes of avoiding the problem we ran into last time.  Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was a little disappointed in their selection.  They had their famous cinnamon rolls--the HUGE Big Momma, then smaller ones, and then these little minis.  Other than that, they really didn't offer a whole lot.  A couple kinds of cupcakes, some rolls, and a few cookies were all that I really noticed.   So we spent all 14 dollars on cinnamon rolls--a Big Momma for us to share, a 4-pack of smaller rolls to take home, and a couple minis.

The Big Momma was (I hate to use this word yet again, but it is fitting) a big disappointment.  The middle was doughy and gross.  The rest of it was alright, but it wasn't anything incredible--just a decent cinnamon bun.  The 4-pack was better because they were all completely cooked, and we reheated them in the oven, which I think also made them yummier.  But again, they weren't anything extraordinary--I've had cinnamon buns from the grocery store that I liked as much.

Overall, Jacob & I give Big Momma's 2 stars out of 5.  The 2 stars are because the cinnamon buns were pretty good.  Everything else about the place is why we didn't give more stars.  The doughy, uncooked center of the Big Momma... the fact that they were sold out hours before closing... the small variety of baked goods... and the prices weren't great ($6.25 for a Big Momma and $6.25 also for a 4-pack).  Also, the location, at least in my mind, isn't the best because of the parking.  It's at the Crown Center, which seemed like a cool place, but the parking fees are outrageous.  It's 4 bucks for only 30 minutes!  You can get 3 hours of free parking with validation, but that means you have to actually purchase something somewhere, so you better not just be window-shopping or you'll be paying ridiculous parking prices.

So for our second unofficial Romney Restaurant Review, we give Big Momma's 2 stars.  I doubt we will ever go again, and I probably wouldn't recommend it to my friends.  Go to the grocery store and get an equally yummy cinnamon roll for way less money--that's what we'll be doing next time!

P.S.  Sorry about the lack of photos.  I didn't think about taking any until we'd eaten all of cinnamon rolls.

No comments: