Thursday, May 17, 2012

Tiger Town Moms

Tiger Town Moms is the playgroup I joined back in March.  I decided one day that I was tired of not knowing anyone and not having any friends in Columbia and staying home all day, every day because I had nothing to do.  So I googled "playgroups in Columbia, MO" and found Tiger Town Moms!

I love it.  I was really nervous at first, because I'm shy and kind of a homebody, so it put me out of my comfort zone to join a group where I didn't know anyone, but I am so glad I did it.  There are about 50 moms in the group, and everyone I've met is super nice.  They have regular playdates grouped by age, so I can go to playgroups for Aleta and for Naomi.  They have Mom's Nights/Mornings Out, where all the moms meet up at Panera Bread, or the movies, or a restaurant just to have some fun with other moms.  They have a monthly book club.  And they have tons of other fun meet-ups as well, many of which are free or extremely cheap--those are the ones I usually attend. 

It has been good for me not only in helping me to meet more people, but also in helping me to get out of the house with the kids.  Even when I plan to do something fun, I often change my mind at the last minute and stay home.  It's just easier.  I get all excited about going out, but when the time comes, I am just too tired, or the thought of getting myself and two kids ready is just too much, or I chicken out at the last minute because I'm not really sure where I'm going or what I'm doing and I feel dumb.  With the playgroup, I know that there will be other moms there to talk to and hang out with, so it makes it easier for me to get out.  I know that probably sounds silly to most people, but these are the things you deal with when you're as painfully shy and self-conscious and insecure as I sometimes am!

One of the meet-ups I've gone to was Little Swimmers Time at the local rec center.  I've wanted to go for months, but I always chickened out because I didn't want to go alone.  The rec center has an awesome indoor water zone, with a zero-depth area and water play structure for the little kids, and a lazy river, and some bigger water slides for older kids/adults.  Little Swimmers Time is from 11-noon, and it's only for kids 8 and under and their parents.  The best part is, it only costs a dollar!!  So Naomi and I ventured out one day to do a little swimming, and I was so excited!  Sadly, Naomi wouldn't even let me get in the water.  She started crying and trying to leave before we were even out of the locker room.  We sat on a bench along a wall for most of the hour, and then for a short time we sat on the side of the pool with my legs dangling into the water.  Naomi cried pretty much for an hour straight.  It didn't even matter that we weren't in the water--she was freaking out.  She clung to me tighter than she's ever clung to me before.  Crazy child!  She hated the pool when I first took her at 6 months, so I thought, "Next summer... she'll be 1 so she will love it!"  And then when she was 1, she hated it just as much.  So I thought, "Next summer for SURE!".  But for whatever reason, Naomi hates pools and splash parks and sprinklers and anything else of the sort.  I don't get it.  She loves her bath... I'm not really sure what the difference is.

Look how awesome this place is... I wish we had a membership so Jacob & I could go by ourselves to play!
Photo of Water Zone lazy riverPhoto of ARC triple loop water slidePhoto of ARC Water ZonePhoto of water play structure at the ARC Water Zone

Photos from the Columbia, MO website, here.

3 comments:

The Brown Family said...

What an awesome place and that's so great finding a playgroup! My ward has one and I'm pretty sure if I ever move into a ward that doesn't have one, I'll be making one of some sort, it's such an awesome resource for friends!

Mallory said...

That pool place looks awesome. I am really shy too. It is really hard for me to be around large groups. I do great one on one but once more people come I slowly shut down and go into my own world. Props to you for joining a group and going out. Sounds like fun!

The Romneys said...

Mallory, I am exactly the same way! I'm much, much more comfortable one-on-one or in small groups, or in a group where I know most of the people. When I'm in larger groups of people, I get way shy and don't talk to anyone unless they talk to me.
It's too bad we don't live close to you guys... I feel like we'd really get along! :)