Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

We decided to stay home for our Memorial Day, so we spent the day playing and being a little lazy.  Some of us also decided it was time to catch up on some sleep--Naomi went down for a late nap last night after church at 5:00, and slept through the night until 7 this morning!  Then she took a 4 hour nap in the afternoon.  So in one 24-hour period, Naomi slept 18 hours.  Pretty crazy!

This evening, Naomi and I made and decorated sugar cookies for Memorial Day!  I wasn't sure how it would go, but Naomi had a lot of fun!  While I flattened the dough (I didn't realize I had no rolling pin, so I did my best with my hands) and cut out cookies, Naomi mostly played with the flour and made a HUGE mess.  She kept spooning more flour onto the table and then spreading it all over the table in front of her until she eventually pushed it all onto the floor.  When I finally put the flour away, there was flour EVERYWHERE.

Making the dough



She's saying, "Cheese!"  She is covered in flour!
For the decorating, I kept some of the icing white and colored the rest blue, and I bought red, blue, and white sprinkles.  I iced some cookies for Naomi and gave a bowl with each kind of sprinkles.  I tried to show her how to sprinkle them onto the cookie, but she decided she'd rather dump a huge pile onto the cookie, and of course make an even bigger mess.  She would dump a pile onto the cookie, spend a few minutes eating some of the sprinkles, and then dump a bunch of the sprinkles onto her chair.  Eventually, the cookie stuff was everywhere, and Naomi was completely covered in flour and colored sprinkles and icing, so I put the rest of the cookies away for me to decorate later.

"Where are all my sprinkles?"


It was definitely a successful activity in that Naomi had a ton of fun, but oh, what a mess she made!  I had decided before we started that I was just going to let Naomi play and have fun--no matter how much of a mess she was making.  So I let her dump the flour and cover herself and me with cookie dough & flour and dump the sprinkles all over the floor and grind them into her chair with her feet... and I'm glad I did. Because she had fun!  It took forever to clean up though.  I wish I had taken a picture of the table and floor before I cleaned it up, because it was terrible.  I also forgot to take a picture of Naomi's face before I wiped it all off--her mouth and cheeks were COVERED in blue from the sprinkles.
Keep in mind, this was AFTER I wiped Naomi's face off.  You can see the mess she made of her chair behind her.
This is what her feet looked like when we were finished.

Our finished cookies!  I actually had to throw away the ones Naomi decorated because she dumped them onto the floor, icing-side down.


1 comment:

NanRomn said...

You are such a fun mommy!