Thursday, May 24, 2012

Our Freakin' Awesome Thursday!

Today was an awesome, fun, extremely busy day!  I started the day off with taking Naomi to the Lend & Learn library for their last day before they close for the summer (and possibly forever, if they don't get their funding for next year... Boo!!).  Because it was their last day for the year, they did a Messy Day outside, where they had tons of fun little stations set up for the kids to play at.  They had water tables with tons of toys, baby pools filled with toys and duckies and water, a couple sandboxes with toys, a station with shaving cream to play in, a long table covered with paper & paint supplies, a plastic tub full of bubble stuff & bubble wands (Naomi's favorite), cups & potting soil & flowers so you could plant your own flower to bring home with you, balls & a mini parachute, numerous mats/blankets set up with cars or giant blocks, and probably quite a few other things that I'm forgetting.  It was pretty much awesome.  Naomi and I spent most of our time at the bubbles station & paint table.
Bubbles!  Naomi's favorite thing in the world.
 

One of the water tables
Naomi's first experience with paint... she loved it.  (I just haven't been brave enough to try out paint at home, yet.  That, and we don't own any paints.)
Also, take note of how clean she is here.



Concentrating on her art.
And this is her "Cheese!" face when I am taking her picture... see how messy she is now?

They also had an ice cream truck that came and gave everyone free ice cream!  So Naomi had her first ever popsicle... she was not quite sure how to eat it off of the popsicle stick, so she eventually started eating it like an ear of corn.
hahaha Check out her hair.


Eating it like an ear of corn...

Yum!
 

Ok... there are a lot of popsicle photos.  But she's just so cute!

They gave everyone a bag of goodies as you left, and everyone went away with a prize (depending on a number on the sticker we were given when we got there), and there were bins & boxes full of free second-hand kids' clothes that were donated.  So we went away with some clothes for the girls, a bunch of new books, and a few other random toys.  Basically, it was awesome and Naomi & I had a blast.  We are doing a Messy Day in June with our playgroup, and I can't wait!!

Naomi went down for a nap when we got home from the Messy Day, and I got Aleta ready to go to our playdate!  This playdate was for the 0-1 age range in our playgroup, and although I could have brought Naomi with me (the mom hosting has a 2-year-old daughter as well), I wanted a little one-on-one time with Aleta.  And Naomi needed her nap, anyway.  So I took advantage of the fact that Jacob is off of school this week, and I left Naomi at home.

The mom hosting the playdate today made what she calls a "Redneck Waterbed", and it was awesome!!!  She got the idea from here... they explain how to make it on that website as well.  Anyway, Aleta was tired and fussy, so she cried as soon as I put her on it, but it was still an awesome idea.  Someday, I want to make one for Naomi... I'm pretty sure she would absolutely love it.
Some of the other kids enjoying the "redneck waterbed".

I also tried out the kiddie pool with Aleta, but she started screaming as soon as I put her feet in the water.  So we spent most of the playdate on the blanket playing with toys.

Some of the other moms/kids enjoying the pool.
Not the greatest picture of me... but I had been playing with my kids outside in high-80s degree weather all day.  So don't be mean!
Playing on the blanket.


When Aleta and I got home, she went down for her much-needed nap, and Jacob made dinner (spaghetti) for the rest of us!  Then Naomi and I left to go to Discovery Time at the library.  They had books out to read with your kids, some activities to go along with the books, and then some other things for the kids to play with.  Naomi spent the whole time crawling through and playing with the caterpillar tunnel... she loved that thing.  Every time another child would crawl through, she would giggle and giggle--she thought it was the funniest thing.  I tried to get Naomi to sit with me to read, but she just wanted to run around.




Happy girl!
When we finally made it home for the night, I gave Naomi a bath.  We added some blue food coloring to the water to make bathtime extra fun tonight.  Naomi thought that was pretty great!  (I took a little video with our flip camera, but honestly, I am just too exhausted from our day to upload it... so I will add it tomorrow.)

Finally, by 10:30, both kids were asleep, and our freakin' awesome Thursday was over!  Go ahead... tell me I'm a freakin' awesome mom... :)

No comments: